Saturday, September 6, 2014

In Maryland

It's extremely humid today, and even though we've been going slowly across the rolling hills, my clothes are still fully soaked. That said, I'm thankful for sweat glands when the cool breezes come. With the absence of my little red cart--it was lost two nights ago due to a ruined tire--I've definitely realized what a tremendous blessing it had been. Pennsylvanians have been so generous with gifts and donations (especially dog treats) my pack is close to 50 lbs now. I actually had to turn down an offer for food and water this afternoon simply because I can't handle anymore weight.

Around 16:00 we cross the Susquehanna via one of the most precarious bridges a pedestrian could ever attempt to traverse. I'm so thankful we both make it safely to the other side, and as a wonderful reward a friendly guy named Justin is waiting to give us a gallon of cold water when we arrive.



Toward the evening we meet a woman named Michele. She'd read about our journey on Facebook and instantly recognized Buddy as the three-legged dog everyone had been talking about. We're invited to visit with her and her friend who lives nearby, and I'm totally stoked to get the invitation since it's a chance for more friendships. Unfortunately, I am unable to find the address. Guess I should have written it down instead of committing it to my increasingly unreliable memory. So sorry Michelle. Thanks anyway for the invite.

There's a thunderstorm rolling in pretty quickly, and though I look for a place to shelter in the fields and woods, each potential area has a 'No Tresspassing' sign posted. The best option would appear to be behind a partially burnt, abandoned home on McCauley Road. I ask the neighbors if they'd mind me putting up a tent there, and initially no one expresses any problems with the idea. However, a bit later a well-meaning and protective husband named Gus comes to investigate the transient camper next door, and I guess he must have decided that we're harmless, cause after several questions he gives us the 'go ahead.' So here we stay for the night. Interesting first day in Maryland.


My sixth pair of shoes are toast.

7 comments:

  1. Amazing to make it across nearly the entire USA from coast to coast with 6 pairs of shoes, a 3-legged dog & a little red cart : )
    What a blessed young man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucas I'm sorry you couldn't find Lynn's place. You were so close! We were so stoked on having you stop by! I really would have liked to talk some more. I feel so bad I didn't go back and look for you! I can't post a pic to this blog or I'd put up the pic I took. I did post it back to the Facebook feed though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Michele, it was my fault for not writing down the address. We actually went a ways down New Valley Rd, but could manage to see your car, so my apologies. Thanks for the feed. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  3. Was a pleasure meeting you two today! As I stopped I never would have imagined the journey you two have taken! Take care and have a blast tonight in Delaware you two deserve it! If its not happening come to Applebee's in Middletown and you will be taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Weary traveler... I'm glad to see you still on Your Vision Quest... I just wanted you to know I've been wondering How far along You've gotten... Glad to see Your OK and making new friends...Don't forget Me? Am I still considered a New friend??? Hee Hee hee?? My contact info.for future reference..is ThaRavenRookery@gmail.com Be Safe and travel Well Blessing... Raven-;>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, we've finished. How's the scary business?

      Delete
    2. That's great about finishing... Horror Biz is growing slowly like the preverbial Blob that it is... lol So What's on the Horizon for You and Your ever faithful hound Doggie??? Glad You've made it to the end of your destination... The journey never ends
      .. it's just beginning.. Our paths will meet again... R-:> and just in case I don't have a chance to tell you Have a safe and Happy Halloween

      Delete